Saturday, May 16, 2009

I'm a Standout in Life

We need to standout in our life, no matter what situation we face, how difficulty the daily tasks that challenging us.

Imagine walking into the reception area of the company you have dreamed of working for to interview with executives. You look around and find 20 other candidates already sitting there, dressed like you, as qualified as you, and are there for the same purpose. The competition is fierce, and you know it. How will you be different from everybody else? This is a question everyone must face including me; at the beginning of my second career in public relations, (I began as and am a clinical social worker), when I decided to launch my own agency.

There are hundreds of people out there who do what you do and want the job you want. So, how do you stand out? No doubt, you've heard typical advice, things like "look people in the eye when you speak to them," or "have a firm handshake." And while all that is true, I'm about to share with you ways you can change the game, bring more of yourself to the table, and use your humanity to take you further in your profession.

It is not always who you know, but how you treat people as a concept I like to call "people relations". It paid off for me big time when it brought Eddie Murphy, the biggest box office superstar in the whole world at the time into my path. My journey with Eddie began when I established a positive rapport with people in his circle. I sent them notes, letters, and interesting articles to connect with them. Then, after hearing on three separate occasions that Eddie was looking for a publicist, my professional preparation met the moment of opportunity. Having stayed in regular touch with the people around Eddie who passed on what I sent to him, I was able to gain access to him directly. I sent him a package laying out my credentials, accomplishments, and ideas for how I could represent him and, guess what, it worked! When Eddie and I spoke, the first thing out of his mouth was "I got your package and I would love to have you represent me." The miracle happened and it all started with honoring the friends in his circle and developing a relationship.

People have a lot going on, at work, at home, and constantly in their minds. So many of us are stressed out, overloaded, and juggling a million things at once. And sometimes, to be honest, we don't always handle that too well. Just as you may have a lot on your mind that is difficult to deal with, the people you work with might be struggling with some emotional challenge. Set yourself apart by being mindful and sensitive to that, and try to be as helpful as possible as you move throughout your days.

If you meet, or want to meet people that you would like to work with, reach out to them and maintain that relationship.




Finally, never under estimated yourself, always standout in life. Encourage yourself in your own way. I would probably motivate myself with the T-shirt.

Standout in Life

This post is actually inspired by the Nuffnang and Tiger, that standout in your life.
"Fully utilize our potential to do the things we are capable of in our lives."


More information about Standout in Life, please visit Nuffnang and Tiger.

No comments: